Favorite ration smell?

Discussions about US MREs and other US rations
Post Reply
User avatar
JT1991
Posts: 75
Joined: Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:29 pm
Location: California, USA
Contact:

Favorite ration smell?

Post by JT1991 » Mon Aug 28, 2017 7:09 pm

Hey everyone,

When you're opening a an MRE, new or old, is there something in there that just smells amazing to you? I'd have to say that my favorite smell is a B-2 unit with crackers and cocoa beverage powder from the Vietnam War era. Something about the way the cocoa powder permeates the crackers. Weird smell but i love it.

- JT1991
Attachments
21055063_10155791220424172_6914576395074428790_o.jpg
"RCI. Taste History"

User avatar
steve1989
Posts: 1306
Joined: Sat Dec 18, 2010 7:32 pm
eBay name: -
Location: Central Florida
Contact:

Re: Favorite ration smell?

Post by steve1989 » Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:49 pm

Inside a vintage MRE acc packet. Reminds me of the King Kong ride at Universal Studios Orlando before it was torn down over 10 years ago. Industrial smell - can't put my finger on it. Smells like nostalgia.

The MCI B-2 with cocoa is another fantastic smell.. I just experienced one last week. :) Had a nice snack during editing.
Attachments
21.jpg
19.jpg
18.jpg
15.jpg

User avatar
Simon2002mre
Posts: 654
Joined: Mon Jul 31, 2017 7:41 pm
eBay name: simocros17
Location: Southern California
Contact:

Re: Favorite ration smell?

Post by Simon2002mre » Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:51 pm

I love the smell of coffee, either that or the jelly. Just amazing!
Killed by rancid pound-cake. I know that will be on my tomb stone.

User avatar
JT1991
Posts: 75
Joined: Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:29 pm
Location: California, USA
Contact:

Re: Favorite ration smell?

Post by JT1991 » Tue Aug 29, 2017 6:52 pm

steve1989 wrote:Inside a vintage MRE acc packet. Reminds me of the King Kong ride at Universal Studios Orlando before it was torn down over 10 years ago. Industrial smell - can't put my finger on it. Smells like nostalgia.

The MCI B-2 with cocoa is another fantastic smell.. I just experienced one last week. :) Had a nice snack during editing.
Those pictures are...nice! Wouldn't mind waking up in the middle of the night for that snack! I got some C-rations coming in the mail soon from eBay. Really wanted some C-rations with cigarettes but I was outbid quickly. The accessory packs with cigs sell like hot cakes!
"RCI. Taste History"

User avatar
JT1991
Posts: 75
Joined: Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:29 pm
Location: California, USA
Contact:

Re: Favorite ration smell?

Post by JT1991 » Tue Aug 29, 2017 6:54 pm

Simon2002mre wrote:I love the smell of coffee, either that or the jelly. Just amazing!
Man, I tore open a pack of Type II coffee from 1974. That aged coffee smell is great! Tastes great too!
"RCI. Taste History"

User avatar
Simon2002mre
Posts: 654
Joined: Mon Jul 31, 2017 7:41 pm
eBay name: simocros17
Location: Southern California
Contact:

Re: Favorite ration smell?

Post by Simon2002mre » Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:07 pm

JT1991 wrote:
Simon2002mre wrote:I love the smell of coffee, either that or the jelly. Just amazing!
Man, I tore open a pack of Type II coffee from 1974. That aged coffee smell is great! Tastes great too!
Tell me about it! I would love some old coffee I'm sure it's amazing.
Killed by rancid pound-cake. I know that will be on my tomb stone.

kwiklot
Posts: 323
Joined: Sat Jun 11, 2016 9:44 am
Contact:

Re: Favorite ration smell?

Post by kwiklot » Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:55 pm

I love walking in the rear of formation on a field training exercise and trying to guess what everyone ate. Lol

User avatar
shawker71
Posts: 432
Joined: Sun Jul 17, 2016 11:02 pm
eBay name: hawkermb
Location: North Alabama

Re: Favorite ration smell?

Post by shawker71 » Sat Sep 02, 2017 10:53 am

kwiklot wrote:I love walking in the rear of formation on a field training exercise and trying to guess what everyone ate. Lol
:lol: :lol: :lol:
The first to bring you the MRE pizza stone.

Conrad
Posts: 477
Joined: Tue Nov 15, 2016 12:27 pm
eBay name: ConradsAutoParts
Location: Ireland

Re: Favorite ration smell?

Post by Conrad » Sat Sep 02, 2017 2:23 pm

At the moment, a simple one, the smell of either the Breakfast Skillet or Western style eggs, with a little tabasco, just after the water has rehydrated them, breakfast!.

Or the two coffee sachets and the cocoa/chocolate sachet from a french RCIR mixed together, no sugar.

User avatar
DangerousDave
Posts: 1103
Joined: Mon Jan 17, 2005 4:48 pm
Location: Virginia

Re: Favorite ration smell?

Post by DangerousDave » Sat Sep 02, 2017 5:10 pm

1980's U.S. Army OD wet weather gear. Smelled like bacon. The poncho's smelled like bacon after a few days of being wet.
After the Chicken and the Egg, came the "Omelet"!

Post Reply