How often do they mess up?

Discussions about US MREs and other US rations
Simon2002mre
eBay name: simocros17

How often do they mess up?

Postby Simon2002mre » Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:24 pm

I was opening a Case of 12 #A Menus 1-12 and pouches was opened and the cheese spread spoiled. However the box was sealed and the strap was still on it. Straight off of camp pendleton. This got me thinking. How often really do they mess up the packaging. Any mishaps or horror stories from your MREs for me?
Killed by rancid pound-cake. I know that will be on my tomb stone.

noderaser
eBay name: noderaser

Re: How often do they mess up?

Postby noderaser » Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:42 pm

What was the date of production? If they're not stored properly, they can go bad surprisingly fast. If stored properly, they can be stored for decades without ill effect.
I'm using my computer's spare resources to help find cures for diseases, analyze astronomical data, render 3D animations, simulate new materials and run climate models--what is your computer doing? http://boinc.berkeley.edu/ Or ask me for help!

oneredflag

Postby oneredflag » Wed Aug 09, 2017 12:04 am

Simon2002mre wrote:I was opening a Case of 12 #A Menus 1-12 and pouches was opened and the cheese spread spoiled. However the box was sealed and the strap was still on it. Straight off of camp pendleton. This got me thinking. How often really do they mess up the packaging. Any mishaps or horror stories from your MREs for me?

I have opened many cases of MRE's and never seen compromised packaging. So I would say very rarely.

Simon2002mre
eBay name: simocros17

Postby Simon2002mre » Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:34 am

noderaser wrote:What was the date of production? If they're not stored properly, they can go bad surprisingly fast. If stored properly, they can be stored for decades without ill effect.

Stored 2015
Killed by rancid pound-cake. I know that will be on my tomb stone.

Eistee

Postby Eistee » Wed Aug 09, 2017 12:52 pm

I had in my 2017 Case also one of those compromised MRE pouches, the bottom seal was not closed properly and i could take out the contents without using the peelable seal.

Return to “MREs”