81-83 brown bag cracker love

Discussions about US MREs and other US rations
NuWorldMann

81-83 brown bag cracker love

Postby NuWorldMann » Sat Jul 22, 2017 5:08 pm

They just don't come close anymore :( The toasted goodness, the glistening salt. Very very lucky to score fresh cases of 81-83 brown bags that came from Camp Grayling in northern MI. They found their way to a local surplus store and sat unmolested ever since. The apple jelly tastes of tart apples..can't wait to try everything else. The pineapple nut cake from another menu was perfect, no bitterness..hoping for the same from the maple nut cake!
Attachments
IMG_0926.JPG
IMG_0925.JPG
IMG_0924.JPG
IMG_0923.JPG

SNiiP3R

Re: 81-83 brown bag cracker love

Postby SNiiP3R » Sat Jul 22, 2017 5:31 pm

Do you have any 83 for sale or trade?
US & International MRE store, http://www.mrezone.com

NuWorldMann

Postby NuWorldMann » Sat Jul 22, 2017 5:39 pm

Possibly, I've got a friend that I'm going to take care of first then I'll know what's left for sale and/or trade.

cavguy

Postby cavguy » Sat Jul 22, 2017 7:28 pm

You are going to be luck if those nut cakes are good! They are a real treat if they don't make your tongue tingle! In what conditions were the cases stored?

alohakid
eBay name: admirals72

Postby alohakid » Sat Jul 22, 2017 8:07 pm

NuWorldMann - Thanks for the share... now, those are real crackers!... the new ones suck major donkey "you know what"... what where they thinking of of?

mahalo

NuWorldMann

Postby NuWorldMann » Sat Jul 22, 2017 9:26 pm

I can confirm the maple nut cake is 100 edible and delicious! This is from a loose 1984 menu 7, diced turkey and gravy, that came with the lot. Absolutely no tongue tingle (none..zero, and I'm not exaggerating even a little bit!) The nuts are dark, mostly brown and the cake is moist with just the slightest bit of oily-ness on the surface. I'll try that freeze dried potato patty next, then work my way to the main.

Was so excited I forgot about answering cavguys question! They were stored in a warehouse (large pole building) behind the surplus store. It's "climate controlled" with gas heat..I've been inside of there a couple days this summer looking around, and it wasn't overly hot or muggy (and it was pretty warm both days with temps in the mid-80s..building sits in the woods shaded from the sun). Yeah, whether by accident or otherwise these (what I've sampled so far) are in exceptional condition.
Attachments
IMG_0927.JPG
IMG_0928.JPG
IMG_0929.JPG
IMG_0930.JPG

housil

Postby housil » Sun Jul 23, 2017 6:23 am

Great catch!!

cavguy

Postby cavguy » Sun Jul 23, 2017 10:55 am

Very cool! Glad you got to taste the awesomeness that is an old school nut cake! Next, try the cherry one and the chocolate one those were good too! You got super lucky with this case, usually rations this old only last when they have been stored frozen. Even in a climate controlled area, if the temperature swings alot (80 degree summers -to- cold winters) they will usually go bad within a few years.

NuWorldMann

Postby NuWorldMann » Mon Jul 24, 2017 2:17 pm

The Cherry nut cake was awesome! Easily the best tasting of all the nut cakes, with a crunchy/firm maraschino cherry flavor. Opened a loosie with chocolate nut cake and that was great too..just not as great as the cherry!

alohakid
eBay name: admirals72

Postby alohakid » Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:45 pm

NuWorldMann wrote:I can confirm the maple nut cake is 100 edible and delicious! This is from a loose 1984 menu 7, diced turkey and gravy, that came with the lot. Absolutely no tongue tingle (none..zero, and I'm not exaggerating even a little bit!) The nuts are dark, mostly brown and the cake is moist with just the slightest bit of oily-ness on the surface. I'll try that freeze dried potato patty next, then work my way to the main.

Was so excited I forgot about answering cavguys question! They were stored in a warehouse (large pole building) behind the surplus store. It's "climate controlled" with gas heat..I've been inside of there a couple days this summer looking around, and it wasn't overly hot or muggy (and it was pretty warm both days with temps in the mid-80s..building sits in the woods shaded from the sun). Yeah, whether by accident or otherwise these (what I've sampled so far) are in exceptional condition.

NuWorldMann - Wow, that looks great, congrats... the diced turkey with gravy sounds good.

mahalo

Return to “MREs”