"For old times sake" suggestions

Discussions about US MREs and other US rations
NAAWildcat
eBay name: NAACat

"For old times sake" suggestions

Post by NAAWildcat » Thu May 18, 2017 9:59 pm

First time post. Summer 1977, went on a 7 day canoe trip in Minnesota's Boundary Waters. Packed in (and packed out) way too little food. Group has met every 5 years since and will get together in June. Too old for day-long canoeing or 400 rod portages, so just meeting to relax at the beach. "For old times sake" I plan to provide a "surprise" MRE experience (for 6). I want a "memorable" and hearty meal that harkens back 40 years ago, but doesn't break the bank. Any suggestions very much appreciated.

NAAWildcat

Re: "For old times sake" suggestions

Post by NAAWildcat » Fri May 19, 2017 8:27 am

Sorry for previous unfocused post. Question: IN YOUR OPINION, what is the "best" (tasting, satisfying, value) single meal MRE (freeze dried or retort pouch or other) by menu and/or manufacturer and/or country? And do you know where and how I could purchase six of them?

BTemple
eBay name: btem9257

Post by BTemple » Fri May 19, 2017 8:43 am

NAAWildcat wrote:Sorry for previous unfocused post. Question: IN YOUR OPINION, what is the "best" (tasting, satisfying, value) single meal MRE (freeze dried or retort pouch or other) by menu and/or manufacturer and/or country? And do you know where and how I could purchase six of them?
For a single meal I would have to say that the Chicken Curry Norwegian Arctic Field ration is the best that I have had thus far. A close 2nd would be the Canadian IMP Lamb & Vegetable Stew, and 3rd would probably be the US MRE Menu #24 Southwest Beef and Black Beans.
I would say that the MRE ration I mentioned would be the easiest to find. But being in Canada I don't know the best/cheapest way to get 6 of them. Good luck!
In the immortal words of President Harrison Ford, Air Force One: Peace is not the absence of war... it is the presence of justice.

RockyRaab

Post by RockyRaab » Fri May 19, 2017 9:28 am

Six of the same meal would be difficult. Why not buy six MREs and let folks pick the one they want - just as soldiers do.Two beef, two chicken, and two veggie would cover the field nicely.

The classics (for old times sake) are:

Beef Stew
Chili w/ Mac
Chicken w/Egg Noodles
Mexican Chicken Stew
Ratatouille
Cheese Tortellini

But there are other equally good choices in the 24-meal lineup. The only one I've eaten that I truly did not like was the Chicken Fajita, which had awful "eraser" chunks of formed chicken paste.
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

NAAWildcat

Post by NAAWildcat » Sun May 21, 2017 8:41 pm

BTemple & RockyRaab

Thanks for the responses. Much appreciated.

Searching eBay and Amazon for Norwegian Artic Ration or the Canadian IMP and appears it will cost $35-$45 per MRE (I've searched for the Swedish 24 Hour Combat Meal too). Seems like a US military MRE best combination of food quality/quantity and price.

Thanks again for making my first post enjoyable and educational.

NAAWildcat

RockyRaab

Post by RockyRaab » Mon May 22, 2017 1:41 pm

Delighted to help.But allow me to voice a pet peeve. MRE is not a generic term for rations. An MRE is a specific kind of US ration, and only that. It's common on the internet to call every ration an MRE, but that can cause a lot of confusion. As this thread demonstrates. Nothing personal, I hasten to assure you. Just pointing out something that bugs me.
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

NAAWildcat

Post by NAAWildcat » Tue May 23, 2017 8:17 pm

Rockyraab,

Point well taken, especially for a "newbie" to the Forum like me.
I have a pet peeve about using "rule of thumb," since it originated in old England where the law allowed a husband to beat his wife with a stick/cane/riod as long as it was not thicker than his thumb, hence "rule of thumb."

NAAWildcat