Question About MCWs/LRPs

Discussions about US MREs and other US rations
gschultz9

Question About MCWs/LRPs

Postby gschultz9 » Sat Oct 15, 2016 8:26 pm

So I was discussing MCWs and LRPs a bit with Steve recently and we were a bit stumped about EXACTLY what the current status of the rations is. I recall reading somewhere (most likely here at MREInfo.com) that they eliminated one of the rations and were going to use one for both purposes (long range patrols and operations in arctic conditions). But I wasn't clear on when this happened--or if it even DID happen at all. It seems that I still see both MCWs and LRPs around.

Looking around I may have answered my own question, but seeing as how this information comes from Wikipedia I figured it was worth checking with the people who'd REALLY know--the people here at the board.

According to this entry in Wikipedia ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LRP_ration ):

"In 2001, the LRP-I was merged with the Meal, Cold-Weather (MCW) ration to create the consolidated MCW/LRP ration. As in years past, this was done in order to further standardize supply and save costs, as both were considered compact, high-energy meals that were designed for use by active soldiers in the field. The meal weighs 1 pound (500 g) and comes in 12 different entrees.

The meals differ only in the accessory packs. One is geared for use by light infantry and commando units operating in temperate or hot climates and comes in brown or tan packaging. The other is geared more for use in cold weather or high altitudes and comes in white packaging."

This would make sense. It explains that the consolidation of the two rations actually happened, and also that you still find two separate rations (MCWs and LRPs) because they still put them in the two individual bags. And the only difference (according to the article) is different accessory packs in each (and Steve explained that the difference was an extra toilet paper pack in the LRP package because it's designed to be more of a 24 hour ration than an individual meal). Does all of this make sense and gel with what you all know about this situation?

Asger

Re: Question About MCWs/LRPs

Postby Asger » Sat Oct 15, 2016 9:21 pm

gschultz9 wrote:The meals differ only in the accessory packs. One is geared for use by light infantry and commando units operating in temperate or hot climates and comes in brown or tan packaging. The other is geared more for use in cold weather or high altitudes and comes in white packaging."

This would make sense. It explains that the consolidation of the two rations actually happened, and also that you still find two separate rations (MCWs and LRPs) because they still put them in the two individual bags. And the only difference (according to the article) is different accessory packs in each (and Steve explained that the difference was an extra toilet paper pack in the LRP package because it's designed to be more of a 24 hour ration than an individual meal). Does all of this make sense and gel with what you all know about this situation?

And there is no salt in MCW's accessory bags (D,E,F) and in LRP's there is (A,B,C) viewtopic.php?f=1&t=6448
*** FaceBooK *** YouTubE ***

cavguy

Postby cavguy » Sat Oct 15, 2016 9:27 pm

Makes sense to me!

According to;
http://www.dla.mil/TroopSupport/Subsistence/Operational-rations/mcwlrp/

According to the website above, the only differences between the two rations are (1) the color of packaging, and (2) Accessory pack A-C is in the LRP and Accessory Pack D-F are in the MCW.

I have also read that the MCW may be issued to conventional troops operating in Arctic area, where as the LRP ration is ONLY issued and available to Special Operations units -> service wide of course.

FREMONT

Postby FREMONT » Sun Oct 16, 2016 12:01 am

Huh, I see cases for both on sale sometimes on eBay. And recently gundog4314 posted a DLA with the prices of rations currently issued by the military. The prices of these by case is expensive compared to the standard issue MRE. Not to mention that certain rations will be issued to certain personnel depending on the occupation, climate, and and/or religious preference.

Gundog4314's post:
http://www.mreinfo.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=6739&p=50956#p50956
Good luck and may your rations stay unspoiled!

Return to “MREs”