First Strike Rations

Discussions about US MREs and other US rations
FREMONT

First Strike Rations

Post by FREMONT » Thu Jun 16, 2016 10:57 am

Never had a first strike ration. I know they have higher calorie counts compared to standard US MREs but how do they compare. And are they worth the price when getting one? Individual rations range from around $16.00 USD+ to a trio ranging at $75.00 USD and crates going around and above $160-$200 USD. What do you guys think of them?

eBay link of rations listed : http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R4 ... n&_sacat=0
Good luck and may your rations stay unspoiled!

housil

Re: First Strike Rations

Post by housil » Thu Jun 16, 2016 11:30 am

A FSR is a 24hrs ration so from it´s "food value" it´s "equal" three MREs but to me not equal in three MREs prices. Their high prices come from their very rare availability. I bought the first cases for a couple of hundred bucks... :shock:

So is it OK for YOU to pay $70 for three, buy them. It´s ~$23 per FSR and it seems an OK price to me. Te first ones I sold for €30 each.

gundog4314
eBay name: gundog4314

Post by gundog4314 » Thu Jun 16, 2016 1:44 pm

I agree with Housil. FSRs are really just a novelty and full of MRE snacks. You can buy the sandwiches at Dick's Sporting Goods in 2 packs. I've even gotten some at walmart. Failing that if you are in the states Theepicenter.com sells them. They are neat to review, they are nice for long extended hikes etc.

If you message BlackdogBob he has several cases and might hook you up with a better price or a trade.

Cheers,
GD

FREMONT

Post by FREMONT » Thu Jun 16, 2016 2:17 pm

Thanks for the information guys

BlackDogBob

Post by BlackDogBob » Thu Jun 16, 2016 6:43 pm

I see from your profile that you are in Ohio. If so, there is a guy that sets up at the gun shows in Columbus regularly that has a bunch of surplus. Whenever I see him at a show, he typically has a case with a few extras.

That said, if you are near Cincinati, and if you are seriously interested in FSRs, I would recommend shooting down to the Rup Arena in Lexington this weekend to the gunshow. We had to change our plans from KC to Lexington. So I will be there at the show this weekend.
Have German,Russian,Canadian,Lithuanian,Dutch, Israeli,Spanish,HDRs,LRPs,French,US RCWs,FSRs,Italian,Croatian, Polish,Aussie, Czech, Malaysian, Swedish, Australian and Norwegian Arctics.

FREMONT

Post by FREMONT » Fri Jun 17, 2016 12:08 am

BlackDogBob wrote:I see from your profile that you are in Ohio. If so, there is a guy that sets up at the gun shows in Columbus regularly that has a bunch of surplus. Whenever I see him at a show, he typically has a case with a few extras.

That said, if you are near Cincinati, and if you are seriously interested in FSRs, I would recommend shooting down to the Rup Arena in Lexington this weekend to the gunshow. We had to change our plans from KC to Lexington. So I will be there at the show this weekend.
Lexington? I will most likely not be able to attend this weekend - father's day and other plans to attend to. :cry:

BlackDogBob

Post by BlackDogBob » Fri Jun 17, 2016 7:06 am

Ok. Well, if you are near Columbus, check out the show there. If I know when he will be there, I will try to give you a heads up.
Have German,Russian,Canadian,Lithuanian,Dutch, Israeli,Spanish,HDRs,LRPs,French,US RCWs,FSRs,Italian,Croatian, Polish,Aussie, Czech, Malaysian, Swedish, Australian and Norwegian Arctics.

Travelowl

Post by Travelowl » Tue Jun 21, 2016 12:33 am

Holy smokes, those prices are insane!

What particular details could possibly make First Strikes worth so much? What should I look for? We have tons of them at work, in fact they have entirely replaced MREs following a lengthy mission we had last year where we depleted all of our MREs. I can't obtain any that aren't given to me, but there is someone nearby who always sells them. Over in Jericho (VT), a gentleman has frequent yard sales where he sells the First Strikes, that's where I bought one. I think he gets $4 for a meal and $25 for a case, but a case was some strange number of meals, not 12 like MREs, I want to say 10 or 14...? He told me that nobody knows what the First Strike is, so they don't sell like the MREs that he has do. He sold a bunch of MREs over one weekend where I stopped by twice, but only sold one First Strike besides the one I bought. If I knew what I was looking for, I could check with him and see if he has any desirable First Strikes.

housil

Post by housil » Tue Jun 21, 2016 7:51 am

Travelowl wrote: but a case was some strange number of meals, not 12 like MREs, I want to say 10 or 14...? .
A case of FSR usually comes with 9.

BlackDogBob

Post by BlackDogBob » Tue Jun 21, 2016 8:41 am

There are a few differences between FSRs and MREs. But the main two differences are that FSRs are meant to be a 24 hour meal and filled with snacks and other items that can be eaten cold. MREs are single meals where the main is meant to be heated up. The prices online are crazy. At gun shows you can typically find FSRs for around $10-$15 each, typically they won't give discounts for buying a case. The last six cases I bought I paid $90 per case. However, I have a new source for them and am able to get them for $55 a case. Each case contains 9 FSRs. Of course, at that price I have to take 50 cases at a time, but no worries there.