Updates to MRE packaging

Discussions about US MREs and other US rations
elandil

Updates to MRE packaging

Post by elandil » Sun Aug 02, 2015 1:10 pm

Came across this in my newsfeed today. Thought it might be interesting.

http://www.armytimes.com/story/military ... /30885867/

Ruleryak
eBay name: ruleryak

Re: Updates to MRE packaging

Post by Ruleryak » Fri Jan 15, 2016 12:14 pm

Thanks a ton for posting this. This has me a little worried. The current packaging does an excellent job of maintaining freshness for (in many cases we've seen so far) more than 20 years. It's design and testing were also based around a 3 year expectation, but in this new instance, weight and environmental friendliness seem to be the driving factors. I'm a bit concerned that we'll see something that will do it's job well for the three year tests, but potentially not perform as well in the long term - especially if it is designed to break down so as not to be damaging to the environment. The idea that the weight of the material that encases the entree changing by a few grams will have a noticeable impact on carry loads is ridiculous - I wonder who came up with that line of thinking? Every ounce counts? Sure, I suppose - but we're not even talking about a tenth of one ounce worth of savings here, and at what other unforeseen cost?

steve1989
eBay name: -

Post by steve1989 » Fri Jan 15, 2016 1:52 pm

Hey Elandil, thank you for sharing!

I'm with Ruleryak 100% on this one, not the best of reasons to try and fix something that isn't broken.
Really an idea I hope does not come to fruition.

If this happens to actually go into full-effect and MRE's are packed in this material, I can foresee a market for the old-style packaging for all the folks who actually want to store their MRE's for longer than 5 years.

rattattoo

Post by rattattoo » Fri Jan 15, 2016 4:57 pm

It is probably important to note here from a real-world perspective... products that expire sooner have to be replaced sooner. Money will be made.

RockyRaab

Post by RockyRaab » Fri Jan 15, 2016 6:42 pm

If I read it correctly, the new material is supposed to keep air out even better than the current materials. So that might increase shelf life. Ask me again in ten years or so, huh?
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.