Question about Menu No. 1 "Red Beans and Rice"

Discussions about US MREs and other US rations
gschultz9

Question about Menu No. 1 "Red Beans and Rice"

Postby gschultz9 » Mon Jun 25, 2012 1:04 pm

Hello. I just picked up an older MRE at a yard sale and am stumped as to what exactly it is. I looked all over the website and couldn't seem to find the answer I was looking for. I'm sure this will be an easy question for the forum though.

This is an older MRE in a tan bag. It is a vegetarian meal, "Menu No. 1 Red Beans and Rice". I couldn't find any "Red Beans and Rice" listed in any of the menus on the site. There does seem to be an HDR that has Red Beans and Rice in it, but the packaging of this one indicates that it's a regular MRE. I also thought it could be a commercially produced MRE, but that doesn't seem right either. SoPakCo makes/made a Red Beans and Rice meal, but this one was made by AmeriQual. Also, this one really does have the appearance of a true MRE. It has the regular "MRE Guy" logo--not the commercial version. And it even has the "U.S. Government Property Commercial Resale Is Unlawful" warning.

There is no date code on the packaging. The only hint I have as far as age is the fact that it's in a tan bag, it has older style printing on it and it doesn't mention anything about it having a FRH inside (nothing mentioned on the bag).

Update: I just noticed that this bag does indeed have a date code stamped very lightly onto it. the code is 9285, dating it to 1999. This matches up with a notation written on tape on the back by a previous owner: "Pete 1999". So now I know that this is from 1999, but am still not sure exactly what it is. According to the website Menu No. 1 was Beef Steak in 1999 (as well as a few years before and after), and there is no mention of a Red Beans and Rice meal anywhere. Is this a common "variation" or something to that effect? Any help would be appreciated. I've attached a couple photos so you can see exactly what I'm seeing. thanks guys!

Red Beans and Rice 1.JPG
Red Beans and Rice Bag

Red Beans and Rice 2.JPG
Close-up of bag

mreheater72

Re: Question about Menu No. 1 "Red Beans and Rice"

Postby mreheater72 » Wed Jun 27, 2012 3:55 pm

1-Each wrote:Hello. I just picked up an older MRE at a yard sale and am stumped as to what exactly it is. I looked all over the website and couldn't seem to find the answer I was looking for. I'm sure this will be an easy question for the forum though...

See here, it is out of one of that rare cases:

Four different menus:

Menu No. 1: RED BEANS AND RICE
Menu No. 3: MINESTRONE
Menu No. 3: WESTERN BEANS
Menu No. 4: BLACK BEAN AND RICE BURRITO

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=3770&hilit=vegetarian

So long mreheater72
"QUIDQUID AGIS PRUDENTER AGAS ET RESPICE FINEM"

Richard w.

Postby Richard w. » Wed Jun 27, 2012 5:47 pm

Is that outer bag is swollen? If so, something has burst and spoiled inside.

Ruleryak
eBay name: ruleryak

Postby Ruleryak » Wed Jun 27, 2012 6:48 pm

Richard w. wrote:Is that outer bag is swollen? If so, something has burst and spoiled inside.

I was thinking the same thing - looks like it's at the bursting point.

gschultz9

Postby gschultz9 » Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:11 pm

Thank you very much mreheater72! I knew that the answer could be found here. Thanks for solving a little mystery. And, no the bag's not swollen at all. I don't know why it looks that way in the photo (and it certainly does appear as though it is). Just a little trick of lighting and photograph angle I guess. It feels just fine and isn't swollen at all. Thanks for the concern though.

gschultz9

Postby gschultz9 » Wed Feb 24, 2016 10:03 pm

Holy cow, I can't believe it was almost FOUR YEARS ago that I posted this question!!!

I wanted to revisit it now for a couple reasons. First off, thank you again mreheater72 for the quick solution to my mystery. I remember being totally flummoxed by this one!

Second, I have a very long backlog of rations I need to review for my Youtube channel and this one is on that list. I keep meaning to get around to it and keep putting it off. Because of the relative rarity of it I figure it would make for a good video topic (even if the casual viewer might not appreciate that "relative rarity" and just see it as any other MRE from 1999). Part of me likes hanging onto it since I don't know if I'd ever find another one, but what's the point? It seem like it would be better to share it with the world (or at least the ration review world anyway).

Which brings me to the third reason for posting here again. Before I DO go ahead and commit to reviewing this baby I wanted to see if anyone here might be interested in it (either for purchase or for trade) for their collection. I'm not REALLY looking to get rid of it (and I'd probably have posted it in the buy/sell/trade forum if I was), but if it would be something that a collector would be interested in I figured it was worth asking before I tear into it and ruin any collectible value it might have.

Oh, and don't be scared off by the swollen appearance of the bag. It was just fine when I took the photos four years ago and it's just fine now. I'm not sure why it gives the appearance of being swollen in the photo (camera angle?, trick of lighting?). Obviously I can't vouch for the edibility of the contents, but nothing is ready to burst or anything like that!

Travelowl

Postby Travelowl » Thu Feb 25, 2016 1:32 am

Interesting, and OP thank you for reviving this thread!

I have one of those cases, but I believe it is only labeled as being vegetarian on the end, not on the side. I think mine is 2003 DoP.

Is it worth opening up to explore the menu items inside, or should I leave it?

Ruleryak
eBay name: ruleryak

Postby Ruleryak » Thu Feb 25, 2016 4:33 pm

Gshultz9 - they're definitely rare. I've been looking for a Vegetarian case and a Kosher case for years (empty or full) and I never run into them. Might want to review it just for the rarity factor.

gschultz9

Postby gschultz9 » Fri Feb 26, 2016 12:15 pm

Yeah, you know, the ore I think about it the more I'm thinking the same thing Ruleryak. I did want to put it out there because of the relative rarity of it, but I'll probably just go ahead and review it myself. I did get one generous offer for a Norway ration in trade which was very hard to resist, but I'm thinking this is the way to go!

Return to “MREs”