mre eat by

Discussions about US MREs and other US rations
pjc71
eBay name: rodimus2205

mre eat by

Post by pjc71 » Mon Oct 31, 2011 11:04 am

first off i would like to say hello to all the members out there ive just joined after reading the forums for the last couple of weeks

anyhow ive just bought some mre's to go camping with in two weeks and most of them are dated 2010 but i have one beef enchilada menu 15 dated 7214
could anyone tell me if this is still ok to eat after 4 years

many thanks

housil

Re: mre eat by

Post by housil » Mon Oct 31, 2011 12:44 pm

First of all, welcome to forums :D
pjc71 wrote: could anyone tell me if this is still ok to eat after 4 years
4 years?! That´s a rookie MRE :mrgreen:
Age is not the main problem of MRE, it´s the storage temperature. If you don´t have the case where the MRE came out from and can check thge red sticker (TTI), it´s difficult to say if thy are still ok or spoiled.

My personal opinion? Don´t worry after just 4 years, even when they were not stored proper, mostly it´s just the cheese and cookies spoiled, but I never had a spoiled main entree.

jaminphx

Post by jaminphx » Mon Oct 31, 2011 5:13 pm

pjc71

I eat 2005 and 2006 menus items all the time, trying to eat them down so I can resupply :D with fresher dates , and have never had a problem with the main entree. All mine were stored inside my home, hopefully yours were too. As Housil said the cookies can go rancid. I have even eaten cookies I know to be rancid and they didn't make me sick. I do like them that much.

When in doubt, heat, open, smell and eat, provided it doesn't smell spoiled. If the cardboard box of the main entree is in good shape and the inner sleeve of the main entree isn't swollen and puffy you should be ok.

Here are a couple pictures of your Menu item #15
#15.jpg
Menu #15
Enchilada plated.jpg
Plated Enchilada
The apple juice didn't come with the MRE.

If you don't have plates campside you may want to use this method for eating your meal, this way you don't have to reach to far down into the envelope with the spoon. Plus, I usually put my side meal, squeezed out, inside the main course envelope, after heating of course. This works well with re-fried beans and/or rice.
envelope.jpg
Cut along dotted line.
Good Luck,

John

pjc71
eBay name: rodimus2205

Post by pjc71 » Tue Nov 01, 2011 6:05 am

many thanks to both of you for the help and advice and the great pics ive seen a taste test on you tube for this menu and they said it was great so i will give it a go tonite as ive just had a small box of 2010 turn up today and will prob take them camping i love rations best bit about cadets all those years ago

housil

Post by housil » Tue Nov 01, 2011 8:05 am

Current I´m eating my 2002 MRE´s . Next will be 4 cases from 2003... :mrgreen:

mreheater72

Post by mreheater72 » Thu Nov 10, 2011 4:28 pm

jaminphx wrote: ...If you don't have plates campside you may want to use this method for eating your meal, this way you don't have to reach to far down into the envelope with the spoon. Plus, I usually put my side meal, squeezed out, inside the main course envelope, after heating of course. This works well with re-fried beans and/or rice...
I also open the entree pouches that way, you are right, so it is much easier to reach to the bottom of the envelope with the spoon. If you open it the usual way, you can use the second tear mark after eating the first half to shorten the pouch.

So long mreheater72
"QUIDQUID AGIS PRUDENTER AGAS ET RESPICE FINEM"