PINEAPPLE in first run MREs (I to V)?

Discussions about US MREs and other US rations
mreheater72

PINEAPPLE in first run MREs (I to V)?

Post by mreheater72 » Sun Aug 28, 2011 3:13 pm

Hi guys,

in the nice little booklet CANTEEN CUP COOKERY written by Galen Geer issued 1985 the list of Menu No. 1 mentions either PINEAPPLE or APPLESAUCE (thermostabilized) as content :o :!: . I only remember APPLESAUCE as dessert , but I never seen PINEAPPLE. Do you :?:

List of Menu No. 1 in CANTEEN CUP COOKERY

APPLESAUCE out of early MREs

So long mreheater72
"QUIDQUID AGIS PRUDENTER AGAS ET RESPICE FINEM"

housil

Re: PINEAPPLE in first run MREs (I to V)?

Post by housil » Sun Aug 28, 2011 4:33 pm

mreheater72 wrote: I only remember APPLESAUCE as dessert , but I never seen PINEAPPLE. Do you :?:
Et viola:

I have them from 2232 to 4170

mreheater72

Post by mreheater72 » Mon Aug 29, 2011 3:42 pm

Thank you for the photo Olli, but those PINEAPPLE are out of "modern" MREs packed 2002, 2003 and 2004 :) . My question refers to the PINNEAPPLE that might be content in Menu No. 1 PORK PATTIES DEHYDRATED packed 1981 to 1985 :) , perhaps with "vintage" olive green cardboard 8) .
"QUIDQUID AGIS PRUDENTER AGAS ET RESPICE FINEM"

housil

Post by housil » Mon Aug 29, 2011 3:55 pm

OK, I see...

Didn´t they came as "FD fruites"? (freezedried) I remember pears and mixed fruit for sure, but pineapple too?

biscuits brown

Post by biscuits brown » Mon Aug 29, 2011 3:56 pm

I'm still looking through the contemporary menus and literature.

Nothing yet

LogDayFreshHots

Post by LogDayFreshHots » Mon Aug 29, 2011 4:22 pm

Hi all,

I consumed quite a bit of the Deydrated Pork Pattie. It happened to be one of my favorites. I ate it dry, like chewing on charcoal since adding water always made it more like a oily sponge.

I remember the dehydrated or freeze dried fruit cocktail as I like it better without adding water to it to rehydrate it. Seemed more "tart" tasting.

But I don't recall ever seeing or even consuming any pineapple in any of the meals.

I wonder if they were just planning to make pineapple an option in the future but then never procured it?
"FIND THE BASTARDS, THEN PILE ON" - Standing Order of Col. George S. Patton Jr., C.O. 11th ACR.

"We may find in the long run that tinned food is a deadlier weapon than the machine-gun" - George Orwell.

LogDayFreshHots

Post by LogDayFreshHots » Tue Aug 30, 2011 2:45 am

Hi Hgen, Olli, BB -

Come to think of it, I don't recall every eating "cookies" with any of the Dehydrated Pork Patties! If anyone has these left over can they post pics?
"FIND THE BASTARDS, THEN PILE ON" - Standing Order of Col. George S. Patton Jr., C.O. 11th ACR.

"We may find in the long run that tinned food is a deadlier weapon than the machine-gun" - George Orwell.

rationtin440

Post by rationtin440 » Tue Aug 30, 2011 8:57 pm

That early MRE pineapple was pretty good compared to what we once had during the cold war. I recall being in the field when my national guard unit was still issued MCIs and it was near Easter Sunday, so a couple guys and girls in my ambulance track section traded around and got a bunch of the pineapple jam from MCI #6 and a bunch of the ham slice from MCI #11, and we had an early/late easter ham dinner of sorts. Personally it was a toss-up (sometimes literally--- :oops: :shock: lol!) for me which I hated more, the pineapple jam or the ham and lima beans. For some reason both of those items would go thru me like greased lightning! Never puked, but cleaned me out anyway.

biscuits brown

Post by biscuits brown » Tue Aug 30, 2011 10:06 pm

LogDayFreshHots wrote:Hi Hgen, Olli, BB -

Come to think of it, I don't recall every eating "cookies" with any of the Dehydrated Pork Patties! If anyone has these left over can they post pics?
Maybe the menu booklet is slightly innacurate in some menu item details? It can happen..

LogDayFreshHots

Post by LogDayFreshHots » Wed Aug 31, 2011 5:06 am

biscuits brown wrote:Maybe the menu booklet is slightly innacurate in some menu item details? It can happen..
Hi BB -

Could be. Wouldn't be the first time, I'm sure!

I'm just wondering if they "intended" to release the pineapple as a future item so they listed it anyway. Possibly to test its acceptance before production began? Like the cookies. I ate a ton of those Dehydrated Pork Patties and never once encountered cookies let alone the pineapple.

I remember the cookies packed in the older MCI's and in the current MRE's. But throughout the 80's - not that it never happened - I never ate an MRE with cookies or pineapple included. The only "wet" fruit I remember is the Applesauce and the dehydrated fruit cocktail which I liked better dry as the flavor to me was more concentrated.

So, it could be a mis-print. Could have been listed but intended for future procurement, possibly due to production problems.