Some New MRE Items In The Works

Discussions about US MREs and other US rations
cavguy

Some New MRE Items In The Works

Post by cavguy » Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:04 am

http://www.armytimes.com/news/2011/04/m ... ld-041611/

I am a few months late but Army times did a story that gives insight into a few new ration items; Also glad to see that going Trans-Fat free has become a priority!

A few new items;

Jalapeno pepper jack beef patty

• Beef taco filling

• White-wheat snack bread

• Oatmeal chocolate chunk cookie

• Chocolate-filled chocolate pound cake

• Barbecue almonds

• Ketchup

• Mustard

Bypah

Re: Some New MRE Items In The Works

Post by Bypah » Mon Jul 11, 2011 1:34 pm

So are they bringing the wheat snack bread back???? :shock: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
"Live long and prosper..."

LogDayFreshHots

Post by LogDayFreshHots » Wed Jul 13, 2011 2:02 am

No ham slice?...

No fruitcake?...

Guess there is always next time... :(
"FIND THE BASTARDS, THEN PILE ON" - Standing Order of Col. George S. Patton Jr., C.O. 11th ACR.

"We may find in the long run that tinned food is a deadlier weapon than the machine-gun" - George Orwell.

Treesuit

Post by Treesuit » Fri Jul 15, 2011 1:12 pm

I'm not sure about this item belongs here or over at another thread but I thought since I started finding these packets it would be a good time to introduce them. It could be new or may not be new as far as the 2010-present MRE's.

I started finding the COOL CAFFEINE caffeinated peppermints in two MRE's that I found in the past couple of months. I didn't know if these came in the UGR's or MRE's. The packet is small and contains 10 mints that are octagonal in shape and are the same size as Altoids. The mints are really strong and have a overwhelming taste of peppermint but are not that sweet. It says on the back of the package that is you consume 4 mints that equals 1 can of cola soda. If you have all 10 mints then that equates to a cup of coffee.

I tried this whole packet on a long road trip to Idaho a few months ago and I must say it did keep me awake for most of the trip but I did need to stop at one point and get some more coffee and stretch. The taste is very good but like I said is not very sweet and they last for a long time. It's only 38 calories per bag and the company has a website: www.coolcaffeine.net. Funny thing is there is no julian date on the package except for a LOT # which it might be a date code but I can't confirm this.

Treesuit

Post by Treesuit » Fri Jul 15, 2011 1:13 pm

Sorry forgot to post the photo. :oops:
Attachments
IMGP1462.JPG

cavguy

Post by cavguy » Fri Jul 15, 2011 2:31 pm

Interesting! Never seen those before.

Treesuit

Post by Treesuit » Sat Jul 23, 2011 3:07 pm

Hey Guys,

Here is a new side item that is up and becoming in the 2010-11 MRE's. It is the Italian Bread Sticks. I have recently seen these come up in my findings and for those of you that would welcome a flavourful twist on the bread items this may interest you.

I had this side with some 2009 Beef Ravioli the other night and honestly I high hopes of this but by the time dinner was done I was only a little bit impressed. The first thing you notice when you open the pouch was the whiff of Italian herb and seasonings then gettting a glimpse of real breadsticks. Once I opened the package all the way the breadsticks were very soft and moist and tended to fall apart. You can actually see the Italian seasonings in the bread which is awesome.

Once I bit into one that was where the disappointing part came in. The bread was very bland much like the WSB we are all used to, no real strong flavour of anything. I did try to spruce up the taste by warming them up in the microwave for 5 seconds and then slapping some butter on them. That did make it a little better but not much. It is just lacking in flavour.

So my recommendation if your going to have this with anything Italian is to warm it up, put some butter and then some Garlic Salt or other herbs on it to kill/mask the taste of the bland metallic tasting WSB (beacuse that is what it really is in a sense) and go from there. Plus do not try and put this into a sandwhich with some other main entree because the bread is just too soft and it has perforated lines in it to break up the sticks. So if you think about it will just fall apart in your hands and make a mess.
Attachments
IMGP1474.JPG
This is what they look like straight out of the package
IMGP1475.JPG
Paired with some 2009 Beef Ravioli

Treesuit

Post by Treesuit » Sat Sep 03, 2011 1:07 am

Hey Everyone,

I have two new MRE items to talk about, perhaps two items some of you might enjoy. They are the Chocolate Chip Chocolate Covered RANGER bar and the snack item, Turkey Nuggets.

First of all I was unsure at the new snack item of Turkey Nuggets. My first though was this was going to be another dried out, tasteless jerky product just like the Beef Snack Strip. Pulling it out I was surprised that all there was was 5 nuggets in a shrink wrapped clear pouch. After opening the pouch and wolfing down all five my attitude turned around. These are very good, still a little dried out but full of flavour, smoke and brine and they actually taste like jerky. Its enough for a supplement during a meal stop but I wouldn't think that these would tie anybody over for awhile. There's just not enough there to satisfy but still I would stock up on these so I did have enough in case I couldn't break for a meal. It is a little high in sodium and does have a sustantial protein count so that's important in my mind.

The next item is by far really top notch and should bring back some memories of the older chocolate covered brownie from back in the dark brown MRE days. The Chocolate Covered Chocolate Chip bar is very tasty and gives a nice smooth, milk chocolate taste on top of the grainy power bar texture underneath. The bar itself kind of came out in two and the chocolate seems to melt pretty quick in your fingers. Why, I don't know. The bar has a nice flavour where you can see the nuts, toffee bits, chocolate chips, etc. It has a very very grainy taste and if your not careful the bar will crumble in your lap. Not to mention the toffee bits are the last thing you taste after everything else (i.e. they stay in your teeth). With this bar it's not like the HOOAH or the FIRST STRIKE BARS this is more like an after dinner dessert power bar. Perhaps you could swing this for a breakfast item with some coffee or tea and fruit before hitting the trail. Defintiely a must have! Not only that but this is made by STERLING FOODS the same people who bring you the UGR dessert tray items, so you know it's going to be good. :D
Attachments
IMGP1676.JPG
What Turkey Nuggets actually look like out of the package
IMGP1675.JPG
Shrink Wrapped
IMGP1673.JPG
The RANGER bar as it came out of the package
IMGP1672.JPG
Actual RANGER bar

cavguy

Post by cavguy » Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:08 pm