Could you live off MRE's????

Discussions about US MREs and other US rations
PanzerDivision666

Re: Could you live off MRE's????

Post by PanzerDivision666 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:10 pm

Good post. guys. Here my thoughts for your consideration-
I went through 16 cases of MREs in one year. Six cases were dated all the way from '90-93, and the rest were 2005 production, just so we're on the same page.
I was homeless for months, and I have had the distinction of living off of them for months, as you say.
I did have a job, and I had to ride my Diamondback bike from Bellevue, OH, to Fremont, OH, on a daily basis, where I worked at a factory.
this is about 32 miles a day, at least. On some occasions, i had to do this haul on foot. I think i'm qualified to speak here.
Now then, without these rations, i would have been in a world of hurt.
I have found, that in my case, constipation ceased to be a problem after my first two weeks. After that, my bowels were on time, every time. I drank one quart of water with my meal, and would follow up with another one as needed throughout my shift. In the summertime like i was, i easily could go through 1-2 quarts an hour, in temps close to 110 degrees.
no adverse effects ( other than being scared shitless by the applesauce in my brown-bags) and I also say that these kept me in great shape. I'm a little guy, and have always had problems keeping my weight above 120 lbs.
I eat mres in huge quantities when I feel like I'm not keeping up with a proper weight. I feel healthier and stronger when I eat them, as opposed to going to Mickey D's like everyone else to fill the empty spaces.
In the winter time, I burn up calories so fast that eating "normal" food during the day, being out in this freezing weather, just doesn't cut it.
One more thing for all you would-be survivalists out there: I can take an MRE and stratch that sucker for a whole day by supplementing extra stuff into it. I.E.- I found that using rice, in say, your beef stew can turn your humble ration into a four-course meal.
I have helped feed hungry fireteam members this way without going hungry myself.
I have survived in conditions that would have killed most people or demoralized them into helpless incapacitation.
The MRE was key to my survival. Nothing can be more morale-building when you are homeless than a good, hot meal that will do more than just fill an empty space. I won't trust anything else because I've been there, done that.
So to the naysayers, " Eat Hearty!!!!!"

Treesuit

Re: Could you live off MRE's????

Post by Treesuit » Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:16 pm

PanzerDivision666,

Very compelling story. I must say you made the best of a bad situation. I have been there a bit myself, being un-employed for a few months and having to save evey bit of money just for other things like utilites, rent, etc. I can say that MRE's were a good supplement to my meal plan and I didn't feel the least bit guilty for eating them.

Richard W,

I can say from long experience that being in the military for so long that a hot "A" meal, whether it be breakfast, lunch, or dinner was always a welcome sight. Not just for morale and MRE fatigue but it was also sent as a nutrirent builder. You mention that you can't possible see mermited eggs, bacon, toast or coffee as a suitable mineral replacement but whenever I had hot meals in the field there always were some some of fresh fruit, vegetables or some vitamin/mineral supplement that was always in the chow line. I suspect that it was sent as a way to replace stuff that was lost in sweating or going to the bathroom.
Trust me getting a hot meal way out in the middle of nowhere or on a rainy field exercise was a real relief.