Interesting Substitutions in Menu C MRE

Discussions about US MREs and other US rations
waldorfTM

Interesting Substitutions in Menu C MRE

Post by waldorfTM » Fri Jan 30, 2009 7:36 am

I recently bid on an won a Menu C MRE on ebay before I realized that it was a civilian one. It is a menu 2 chicken fajita one. Well, it arrived and I promptly ripped it open to check the contents as I had seen so many bad reviews regarding missing components.

I only had one meal item substituted. I received crackers instead of wheat bread. But, two of the items had packaging that I was not expecting. The crackers that I received in substitute, and the oatmeal cookies were in a shiny silver foil package. The crackers are in a HDR packaging and the cookies are in a different packaging that I was not able to recognize.
Attachments
hdr-cracker.jpg
HDR Crackers
oatmeal-cookies-2.JPG
Oatmeal cookies side 1
oatmeal-cookies.jpg
Oatmeal cookies other side

Bypah

Re: Interesting Substitutions in Menu C MRE

Post by Bypah » Fri Jan 30, 2009 8:33 am

All of those are HDR components... :D
did they repackaged those meals???
8)
"Live long and prosper..."

kman
Site Admin

Post by kman » Fri Jan 30, 2009 9:26 am

Those HDR parts are normal for Menu Cs. I have a case from when they first started selling them and all the crackers and cookies are the HDR versions. I think the manufacturer just had extra HDR parts leftover and since they're the exact same as the MRE parts, they decided to use those.

OLETROOP
eBay name: OLETROOP

Post by OLETROOP » Fri Jan 30, 2009 2:55 pm

I have ran into the same thing in the "C" cases I bought. There are some HDR items but in another case I opened and the exact same meal they were not HDR's but the packaging of the MRE's. I agree with what KMAN says that they probably had some extra crackers or cookies and packed them in there. As for the cookies you received I have never seen that type of packaging.
SEMPER PRIMUS, FIRST IN AND THE LAST OUT....PATHFINDERS

waldorfTM

Post by waldorfTM » Fri Jan 30, 2009 7:20 pm

Interesting, so they are both HDR components. I was not too sure about the cookies because none of the menu lists had oatmeal cookies nor did any of the pictures of them show that kind of packaging.

The picture of the guy is kinda interesting. He is holding a package, of food I guess, in one hand while pointing at his mouth with his other.