MREs in the movie "Blindness"

Discussions about US MREs and other US rations
kman
Site Admin

MREs in the movie "Blindness"

Postby kman » Sun Dec 07, 2008 12:18 pm

I saw the movie "Blindness" over the weekend. Here's the plot summary:
imdb.com wrote:A city is ravaged by an epidemic of instant "white blindness". Those first afflicted are quarantined by the authorities in an abandoned mental hospital where the newly created "society of the blind" quickly breaks down. Criminals and the physically powerful prey upon the weak, hording the meager food rations and committing horrific acts. There is however one eyewitness to the nightmare. A woman whose sight is unaffected by the plague follows her afflicted husband to quarantine. There, keeping her sight a secret, she guides seven strangers who have become, in essence, a family. She leads them out of quarantine and onto the ravaged streets of the city, which has seen all vestiges of civilization crumble. Their voyage is fraught with danger, yet their survival and ultimate redemption reflect the tenacity and depth of the human spirit.

While they're in the mental hospital, the only source of food is some kind of MRE. At first, I thought they were Meal Kit Supply Canada MREs because the boxes look very similar. But once I got a closer look at the detail on the cases, it looks like they say:

National Defence Department
Emergency Ration Meal

In the couple of shots of the MRE bags themselves (pics 7 and 10 below), you can see that these do look like Sopkaco Sure-Pak civilian MREs (that's who OEMs the Meal Kit Supply MREs) - but there looks to be an extra sticker or bar code on the bag. Interesting stuff.

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

Movie Review
As for the movie itself, I had a hard time getting through the first half of it. The premise of a "blindness" disease was intriguing but the way they quarantined the initial victims in a mental hospital by dumping them off in an empty building and letting them fend for themselves with no medical care didn't make sense. And it got even worse when one ward of people decided to appoint themselves "kings" of the hospital and began demanding payment for all food. Actually, that part was understandable - one group of people in trying times trying to assert themselves over the weaker groups. But it didn't make sense that the one woman who could see and thus do something about the situation didn't. Instead she waits far too long before making a token effort of resistance.

I won't spoil any more of the movie for you but once I got over my frustration of the way they set up the mental hospital situation, I was drawn into the film. I've seen plenty of disaster/end-of-the-world movies where either a single person (I Am Legend) or many people are left to survive in a post-civilized world. But "Blindness" has a whole new take on the idea with all the survivors being blind.

For those of you looking for a film with even deeper meaning, you can find that here if you look into what the writer and director were trying to say about our moral blindness in addition to the physical blindness.

Return to “MREs”