Meal, Flight, Feeding, Individual?

Discussions about US MREs and other US rations
BTemple
eBay name: btem9257

Meal, Flight, Feeding, Individual?

Post by BTemple » Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:37 am

Managed to score this interesting looking brown bag ration on eBay last night:
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 3360678631

At first I assumed that it was a simple brown bag MRE, but didn't give the pictures a hard look until after I had won it. There was an old thread from almost 4 years ago on here that talked about these particular rations, but I've never actually seen the contents of one. I know they would have removed the bean component due to the gas it would create, but would they replace it with something else or just leave it as a lighter ration?

Any extra info would be great.
Attachments
Screenshot_20180118-084259.png
In the immortal words of President Harrison Ford, Air Force One: Peace is not the absence of war... it is the presence of justice.

DonJa

Re: Meal, Flight, Feeding, Individual?

Post by DonJa » Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:05 am

Ahhh, the highly coveted "flight beef":

RockyRaab

Post by RockyRaab » Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:20 pm

My flying days ended 10 years before those came out. In my time, there was a Flight Kitchen in Base Ops and they made up meals that came in white shoe boxes. Two pieces of cold fried chicken, two sandwiches, two hard-boiled eggs, two cartons of milk, and cookies or candy, plus accessories. A FULL shoe box of food, and more than enough for two meals. Officers had to pay for them, but it was a pittance.
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

OtisRNeedleman

Post by OtisRNeedleman » Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:01 pm

RockyRaab wrote:My flying days ended 10 years before those came out. In my time, there was a Flight Kitchen in Base Ops and they made up meals that came in white shoe boxes. Two pieces of cold fried chicken, two sandwiches, two hard-boiled eggs, two cartons of milk, and cookies or candy, plus accessories. A FULL shoe box of food, and more than enough for two meals. Officers had to pay for them, but it was a pittance.

Yup, the infamous "box bennies". Those white boxes bring back memories of being a flight commander at a USAF unit in Osan, Korea about 35 years ago. Worked in a bunker, couldn't go out for meals. Combined US-ROK unit. We US folks had a choice of box meals. Had to pay for mine but cost was little. The Koreans got only the cheapest one, the fried chicken, since the ROK government provided their meals. I'd often trade meals with my ROK officer counterpart so he could have something different. On mid shifts one mid would be a potluck. People brought in things to eat, stuff in crock-pots, sandwiches, chips, what have you. The Koreans would bring fruit. However, NO kimche was allowed on the operations floor. Period.

SentientTootsieRoll

Post by SentientTootsieRoll » Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:33 pm

Does anyone have any pictures of these rations? I see very little information about them online. How do they compare to standard MREs? Any serious information about them would certainly be appreciated. :)
If we don't study the mistakes of the future, we're bound to repeat them for the first time.

BTemple
eBay name: btem9257

Post by BTemple » Sat Feb 03, 2018 6:35 am

SentientTootsieRoll wrote:Does anyone have any pictures of these rations? I see very little information about them online. How do they compare to standard MREs? Any serious information about them would certainly be appreciated. :)
I'm still waiting for this one to arrive, it's coming from Thailand so it might be a few more weeks for sure. Haha
It'll certainly be reviewed at some point once I get it.
In the immortal words of President Harrison Ford, Air Force One: Peace is not the absence of war... it is the presence of justice.

wats6831
eBay name: MREmountain

Post by wats6831 » Sat Feb 03, 2018 8:36 pm

There's a guy selling whole sealed cases of 1980s FFM, but he wants too much for them. He has about 12 cases.

fun2drive

Post by fun2drive » Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:54 am

I flew 1980 to 1991 on bombers and just as reported the flight kitchen could take the finest food and make it difficult to eat. The white box flight lunches were all manner of food from roast beef sandwiches to peanut butter sandwiches, etc. Unfortunately never saw an inflight meal as the OP has shown. The box meals were so bad we would go to Subway at the BX and get a sub sandwich our own snacks.
I remember paying $2.25 per flight lunch price never changed over the 11 years I flew.
Looking forward to the OP posting the contents and if he decides to eat it....

Vietnamcollector9

Post by Vietnamcollector9 » Sun Mar 04, 2018 11:37 am

SentientTootsieRoll wrote:Does anyone have any pictures of these rations? I see very little information about them online. How do they compare to standard MREs? Any serious information about them would certainly be appreciated. :)
I have some of these mres.

cavguy

Post by cavguy » Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:23 pm